Tuesday, August 4, 2009

8-3-09: Orphanage, Lunch, Never Ending Dinner...

GOOOD MORNINGGG VIIIEETNAAAAMMMM,


I’ve been waiting to write a morning blog so I could use that famous Robin Williams quote from the identically named movie, I am now fulfilled.


Last night was a long day of hard work consisting of; waking up to what seemed to millions of mosquito bites along my leg (like bumps on a basketball), traversing a 20 minute drive to find a Vietnamese dish recommended by Anthony Bourdain called “Banh Mi,” and a cooking class that turned into a marathon of food eating. In retrospect, the day wasn’t so much as “hard work,” as it there is trying to find an incorrect brush stroke in the “Mona Lisa.” The day was another day in paradise. It started off with me having to go to the nearest market to find mosquito coils to get rid of the steady flow of never ending mosquitoes that have established a community in my room. The coils I purchased, though, soon ended that.


After class (for those of you who don’t know, I’m taking a Vietnamese history class and language class every morning from 8am to 11am) a group of us decided to get lunch. Being a huge Anthony Bourdain fan, I excitedly volunteered our group to try a Vietnamese sandwich called, “Banh Mi.” These sandwiches can be compared to American sub sandwiches…only they are much better. These sandwiches can be topped with numerous items; fried eggs, pâté, beef, liver, pork, chicken, pickled veggies, and even rice. The most remarkable things about these sandwiches are the costs; one sandwich is 8000 dong, or about $.45. The taste of the sandwich was incredible. Crisp, zesty, delicious. I could eat these for the rest of my time here, and I probably surely will.


After lunch, we were on our way to the orphanage. The orphanage, called “Chuoc Duc Son.” I’m not sure what that translates to in English, but I will get that to you as soon as I can get that information. Sadly, I found out that I was not going to be working with the 5-10 year old group because they were seriously lacking any previous English knowledge. The nun explained that it would be difficult to teach English to these children if I didn’t speak Vietnamese fluently. I understood that it would be utterly impossible to truly communicate with these kids with such a language barrier. Happily, though, the nun told me that I would have a class which consisted of 13-15 year old kids. I was very comfortable with this because of my previous teaching experience teaching children with Think Together. The kids were utterly beautiful; genuinely happy, energetic, and the thirst for knowledge could be seen through their innocent eyes. Although the English they spoke was basic, communication with them wasn’t as hard as I though. We read books, tested grammar, and practiced annunciation. Life-changing is what comes to mind whenever I think of this great opportunity I was given. Helping these children is something that genuinely makes me happy. As soon as the teaching expedition started, it was over. We left the kids on our mopeds, and they chased us until we were outside of their allowed boundary.


Dinner was a marathon, having to struggle to keep up with the never ending course of meals that the wiaters kept delivering. Two of our group members, instead of working at the orphanage, are taking on cooking internships. Because of this, we were allowed to come to the kitchen they were working at and try out some of the food they made. As we dined with our classmates, we soon discovered that the owner of the restaurant arranged a patio setting table for us. Beautiful garden scenes, along with a lily pad covered creek, were at our table side. Gorgeous. As soon as we sat, the food was brought out. Tofu filled spring rolls were the first course of the menu. We were content in knowing that our taste test only consisted of this, because it was beyond delicious. We couldn’t have been more wrong. Course after course came along, filling our bellies with; spring rolls, banana-leaf wrapped rice, steamed fish, salad, and desert. It was as if we were being tortured to eat ourselves to death with heavenly food. As soon as the night began, it was over. Shockingly, the bill was handed to us and it only cost us the drinks we ordered for the great meal we had. They didn’t charge us at all for the multiple course meal they had jut arranged for us. The Vietnamese hospitality and generosity struck me again. It is remarkable to know that in a country, which is still considered developing and consists of a lower than average G.D.P, that the people in the country are still so generous.


Great day, beautiful night...

- Live from Vietnam, Sonny

1 comment:

  1. wow you are having so much fun! I'm very envious! I love reading your stuff it makes me smile:)
    **Monica

    ReplyDelete