Tuesday, August 25, 2009

8-22-09: The lovely people at our hotel...

A short blog awaits you this time dear reader.

As time slowly takes away my time in Vietnam away, I find myself trying to soak in all of the ambiance that this country has to offer. Everywhere I look, exotic things to an American eye, seem to surround me. I miss home, but I know I will miss this place just as much when I leave here.

The employees at our hotel have made our trip to Vietnam so much more exciting. Everyday they cook us breakfast, clean our rooms & restrooms, greet us with smiles, and are very trustworthy. I know this because of through personal experience; one day I left a one-hundred dollar bill out on my desk for the day, and to my surprise, it was there when I got back. These workers only make about 70,000 dong a day, which translates to about $6 a day. They work hard trying to feed their families, pay for their education, and of course, pay their taxes. It puts my life in perspective when I know that I can afford a $1100 a month apartment, while these adults cannot afford a $2 dollar pizza for dinner.

We always buy the hotel employees things; dinner, clothes, toys for their kids, etc... They always are so grateful to us. I have grown to really appreciate these people, and at times, I am very attached to them. The funny thing is, as little as they know they make, they always seem grateful for everything that they recieve.

Short post...but meaningful...I hope...

Live from Vietnam, Sonny

No comments:

Post a Comment