Tuesday, July 28, 2009

7/28/2009- Orphanage Experience

This is a girl from the orphanage. She didn't speak much, but she knew her alphabets!

The sleep deprivation and jet lag have made me miss a post, but in actuallity it is a day later here than in the United States, so I think I am still on track.

Today I wanted to talk about my first experience at the orphanage I will be working on for the remainder of the time in Hue, Vietnam and some of the stuff that went on during my first time there. We arrived at the orphanage around mid-day, to welcoming nuns. The thing that struck me as very surprising is how the orphanage works so much differently than those in the United States. First, kids who are taken into this particular orphanage are able to stay in the orphanage until they are ready to leave. In short, the kids who are taken in, are able to stay until however old as possible until they are able to leave and stand on their own feet. Some kids turn into adults and never leave. They stay, take care of new kids, and the cycle continues. Which in my mind brings about a more caring environment. Second, the orphanage pays for the students education and necessities. If a student grows older and decides to pursue a collegiate life, the orphanage will pay for that student and even provide transportation. Again, this proves for a more loving environment.

The kids sang us songs, read us books, and also shared their stories with us. Most of them were shy, but a lot were very excited to see us. The nuns told us that men usually don't come in to help the orphanage, so whenever some do, the boys get really excited. They need positive male influences in their lives. This is where I hope I can help most.

We left soon after. I wish I would write more, but it has been a long day. I know this experience will change me forever, and I'm so excited to help these kids.

-live from Vietnam, Sonny Hassan

No comments:

Post a Comment